Yep, It is that time of the year again. Soon we all will be flowed with email, flyers and events that ask us to make a resolution to do something. It may be to lose weight, stop smoking, eat better, spend more time with the family or attend more networking functions. Any way you look at it we all have something that we want to take action on and don’t.
There are a number of stages we face when we need or want to make a change. Some of these may sound all too familiar to you. However, if you know where you are currently positioned it may help you to move a bit closer to your goal.
- Pre-contemplation – You are unaware of a problem so you don’t think you need to make a change.
- Contemplation – You are aware of a problem and you are thinking about taking action.
- Preparation – You begin to emotionally get ready for the impending action.
- Action – You are taking the steps that are necessary for action.
- Maintenance – Keeping up the necessary actions and not slowing down or backing out of your plan.
- Termination – Ending at what hopefully is an appropriate time.
I am somewhere between Contemplation and Preparation. I know there are things that I want to change or enhance in my life. I tend to live by the phrase “learning never stops and never stop learning” and this includes more than book study.
I believe I will Contemplate a bit more so that I am ready when the flood of emails hit my in-box at least I can say I thought about it.